Originally this chapel was a free-standing structure. From 1691 the gothic core was reconstructed, the west end of the nave was connected to the castle and the entire church redone in the baroque style. Three major fires (1730, 1760 and 1791) wreaked severe damage to the church, castle and to many houses in the township. The last comprehensive restoration was carried out in 1987.
The present furnishings were largely assembled by Archduke Franz Ferdinand.